Basics – This class is for those looking to begin their yoga practice or those looking to strengthen an existing practice. Postures are practiced with a focus on proper alignment and a goal of strengthening and increasing flexibility. Class will include standing and seated postures, including balancing, twists, hip openers, and restorative poses. No prior yoga experience needed.
Kundalini – Introduced to the United States in 1969 by Yogi Bhajan, Kundalini Yoga and Meditation is a technology of the body-mind system that will optimize all aspects of your life. It is an ancient and royal yogic science uniquely constructed for this time on the planet. Practicing this yogic art will quickly change your vibration, providing greater clarity of mind, less stress and more energy. This yogic system works very quickly, balancing the mental, emotion, physical and energetic bodies. It is a powerful tool, providing the practitioner with operating instructions for the human system. Each Kundalini experience includes a physical yoga set, meditation, breath work and sound code activation. This yogic system is accessible to all. It will provide great benefits to every student, from the absolute beginner to the seasoned yogi. Often called the yoga of experience, a Kundalini session gives you a direct experience of your creativity and infinity. Plan to leave class feeling calm, energized and joyful. No prior yoga experience needed.
Vinyasa – Vinyasa combines flowing movement with breath. Inhales and exhales inform the transition from one asana (pose) to the next within a series or sequence. Class begins with centering, pranayama (breath work), and a brief warm-up before moving through sun salutations and multiple dynamic asana types to both challenge the body and quiet the mind: standing and seated postures, forward folds, back bends, balance postures, and inversions. The studio currently offers three different styles of Vinyasa practice:
- Vinyasa Flow – A mixed-level Vinyasa class that is structured to offer both challenge and relaxation. Attention is paid to alignment, and modifications/use of props will be offered for both increased and decreased intensity. Prior yoga experience is helpful but not required.
- Power Vinyasa – A faster paced class, physically challenging Vinyasa class where participants flow from pose to pose while connecting movement to breath and building strength, flexibility, and balance. Prior yoga experience recommended.
- Slow Flow Vinyasa – This slower-paced Vinyasa class allows more time in each pose to focus on alignment, exploration, and connection to breath. This approach allows newer practitioners to build confidence and familiarity, while giving seasoned yogis space to refine and deepen their practice, providing everyone an opportunity to forge a deeper mind/body connection. No prior yoga experience needed.
Yin – Yin is the practice of stilling both the body and mind through long held, passive stretches (usually 2-5 minutes), mostly practiced on the floor. Yin targets the connective tissues (tendons, ligaments, fascia), opening up parts of the body that are not often the focus of a more active (or yang) practice. Emphasis will be placed on deep breathing, and various meditation techniques may be used in class. Use of props and modifications will also be offered. The studio currently offers two different Yin-style classes:
- Yin & Yoga Nidra – This 75-minute class includes 45-50 minutes of Yin, followed by the practice of Yoga Nidra. Sometimes called yogic sleep, Yoga Nidra involves total body relaxation paired with a deep meditative state of consciousness between waking and sleeping. Lying in Savasana (resting pose), the student simply follows the voice of the instructor, while meditation techniques such as intention setting, guided imagery, body scan, and counting breaths are used to move through this ancient practice. Yoga Nidra has been known to reduce stress, improve sleep, and leave the practitioner feeling restored and refreshed. No prior yoga experience needed.
- Restorative & Yin – Restorative & Yin yoga are both deeply healing practices. They allow the physical and energetic bodies time to tap into their innate ability to restore and heal on many levels. During this 60-minute class, you will experience gentle movement, restorative & yin yoga postures, yoga therapeutics, soft music, light meditation, pranayama (breath work), aromatherapy, and deep relaxation. The instructor will guide you into fully supported yoga postures with the aid of blocks, bolsters, and blankets. Reiki, a soft and sweet hands-on modality that amplifies the healing process, will also be offered. You will leave class feeling energetically, physically and emotionally recharged, restored, and renewed. No prior yoga experience needed.
Zen Barre® – Zen Barre® follows along the principles of barre, yoga, and Pilates with an emphasis on ballet and strength training. The class designed by The Zen Barre® provides a challenging and unique workout designed to sculpt and strengthen your entire body as well as increase flexibility. This class will provide the ultimate workout using a combination of barre and pilates moves connecting with the mind, body, spirit philosophies of yoga. During class you will experience a feeling of grounding and calming. You will learn to connect with your breath using proper alignment to develop the body you dream of. Please note that shoes are not worn during class. Barre socks recommended. Essential oils are used during class. (www.thezenbarre.com.) Also note that there are no barres installed in the Firehouse Yoga studio. Instructor will adjust the class to incorporate ballet moves that can be performed without a barre.